Outside of Confucius, perhaps no eastern figure has had greater influence than Buddha. The foundation of the Buddhism, the teachings of Buddha are vast and Buddhism quotes continue to not only guide those in the Buddhist tradition, but those in western cultures as well. Legend has it that Buddha attained enlightenment in just 49 days and then was asked to teach. His discourses, including the Sutra of the Four Noble Truths, have attained a relevance that has transcended the passage of time and continues to guide his followers today. Small wonder why Buddhism quotes are timeless in their words and their underlying wisdom.
Reference.com Definition of Buddhism
Buddhism on Wikipedia.org
[ Page 1 of 2 ]
- "Our civilization, bequeathed to us by fierce adventurers, eaters of meat and hunters, is so full of hurry and combat, so busy about many things which perhaps are of no importance, that it cannot but see something feeble in a civilization which smiles as it refuses to make the battlefield the test of excellence."
- "The self-refinery of Buddhism does not lie in the form of exercise. Not all people sitting in a lotus position can reach real Zen - if they are obsessed by desires. Instead, a pure heart, even during subconscious action, can get sudden enlightenment and the real Zen. It's like Einstein suddenly finds a solution to Relativity when playing violin."
- "We could say that meditation doesn't have a reason or doesn't have a purpose. In this respect it's unlike almost all other things we do except perhaps making music and dancing. When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point. And exactly the same thing is true in meditation. Meditation is the discovery that the point of life is always arrived at in the immediate moment."
- "Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and the spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity."
- "The cartoonists treated Islam the same way they treat Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism and other religions. And by treating Muslims in Denmark as equals they made a point: we are integrating you into the Danish tradition of satire because you are part of our society, not strangers. The cartoons are including, rather than excluding, Muslims."