Whether the love lasts a week, a year, or beyond, love is the most desired commodity in society today, which is why there is so much said about the subject. Our top ten love quotes are comprised of the most famous and the most popular words spoken on what truly makes the world go ‘round. These Top 10 quotes we chosen by Great-Quotes.com users in 2011 and are in NO PARTICULAR ORDER.
1. “If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” Mother Teresa
This quote was attributed to Mother Teresa in a sermon by pastor Jon Weece. The sermon’s message was “Brittany, Jesus loves you.” He was inspired to send a package to Britney Spears filled with letters from church members bearing this love-filled message. Other sources of this quote are not found.
2. "At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet." Plato
Plato, a famed Greek philosopher and student of Socrates, commented on the subject of love’s ennobling character several times in his dialogue “The Banquet,” including this famous line.
3. “Absence diminishes little passions and increases great ones, as a wind extinguishes candles and fans a fire.” Francois de La Rochefoucauld
Francois de La Rochefoucauld was a French author of maxims and memoirs. In his book of Sentences and Moral Maxims (1665-1678), Rochefoucauld wrote this line under maxim 276, discussing the nature of passion.
4. “There is no remedy for love but to love more.” Henry David Thoreau
According to a documentary on the life of Henry David Thoreau (“The Thoreau Log” by G.K. Hall, 1992), this quote was written in Thoreau’s journal. Apparently deeply in love with a woman named Ellen, Thoreau recorded these words.
5. “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” Robert A. Heinlein
Science fiction author Robert A. Heinlein penned this famous line in his novel, “Stranger in a Strange Land.” The book is about a human who comes to earth after being raised by Martians, and is often considered “The most famous Science Fiction Novel ever written.” A similar line is repeated in “The Cat Who Walks Through Walls,” also by Heinlein.
6. “Love is absolute loyalty. People fade, looks fade, but loyalty never fades. You can depend so much on certain people, you can set your watch by them. And that’s love, even if it doesn’t seem very exciting.” Sylvester Stallone
Sylvester Stallone is mainly an American actor, best known for his roles as boxer Rocky Balboa and soldier John Rambo. Although a source is not found for this quote, there is not contest that it belongs to “Sly” Stallone.
7. "For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul." Judy Garland
In a 1939, Judy Garland (famous American film actress and singer) gave to her friends a small, privately published book of poetry she had written. Contained in that little book was a poem with the title, “My Love is Lost,” from which this quoted line is taken, expressing a tender feeling that can only be described as love.
8. "All you need is love." John Lennon
Written by John Lennon, co-accredited to Paul McCartney, and sung by the Beatles for the first time on “Our World,” the first live global television link, this line has been made famous and is now sung and quoted all over the world.
9. “If you would be loved, love and be lovable.” Benjamin Franklin
Benjamin Franklin, a well-known American politician, philosopher, and inventor, wrote many volumes of an almanac entitled, “Poor Richard’s Almanack” under the pseudonym “Poor Richard” or “Richard Saunders.” The almanac provided the public with seasonal weather forecasts, practical household hints, puzzles, and its extensive use of wordplay. This quote was published in the 1755 edition.
10. “The course of true love never did run smooth.” William Shakespeare
A sentiment common to the time, although never so beautifully articulated as in the manner Shakespeare expresses it, this quote comes from his comedy “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” during a scene in which Lysander, in love with Hermia, discusses the trials faced by those in love.
...additional Famous Love Quotes topics:
|All Love Quotes||Cute Love||Falling in Love||Love Affair||Love Ended||Sweet Love||Valentine's Day Quotes|
|Kiss & Kissing||Marriage||Romance||Sad Love||Break Up||Funny Love||Cute Boyfriend Quotes|
Copyright © 2002-2013 Great Quotes.com