Famous Football Quotes: For some, September means newly sharpened pencils, backpacks, and getting the kids off to school. For others it’s time for sweaters and long pants make their annual appearance. The rest of us stock up on chips and dips, pretzels and pop, and settle down in front of the TV for our annual Super Bowl hibernation.
Throughout the years, people have cheered, laughed and cried for the team they were rooting for; families have been divided, only to come together again at the end of the season. For some it is a matter of pride; others, another opportunity to place their bets and take a chance on the year’s favored team. Now that the pre-empt to Super Bowl XLII (42) is fast approaching, we can’t help but think of the wonderful and memorable quotes and statements made by people who are or have been involved with one of America’s most celebrated sports.
Here are some of the memorable football quotes:
1. “Football isn't a contact sport, it's a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport.”
Perhaps Mr. Daugherty is trying to eliminate the notion that football is an unmanly “contact” sports. Believe it or not, a lot of people think, or at least give tease to the nature of football wherein large, muscular men get close to one another trying to grab the ball. I don’t see the harm in that.
2. “Pro football is like nuclear warfare. There are no winners, only survivors.”
3. “We can't run. We can't pass. We can't stop the run. We can't stop the pass. We can't kick. Other than that, we're just not a very good football team right now.”
If you can’t do all those things you said you can’t do, you’re never a good football team.
4. “I feel like I'm the best, but you're not going to get me to say that.”
You already said it dude.
5. "You guys line up alphabetically by height."
This may take a while.
6. “We've got to find a way to win. I'm willing to start cheating.”
Well that turned out well!
7. “I have seen women walk right past a TV set with a football game on and - this always amazes me - not stop to watch, even if the TV is showing replays of what we call a "good hit," which is a tackle that causes at least one major internal organ to actually fly out of a player's body.”
Women aren’t interested in things their men spend time on besides their women.
8. “There's no substitute for guts.”
-- Paul "Bear" Bryant
How about glory?
9. “Most football teams are temperamental. That's 90% temper and 10% mental.”
10. “Football is a game played with arms, legs and shoulders but mostly from the neck up.”
I bet Mr. Plank would beg to differ.
11. “Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”
Alright, enough of the witty quotes and remarks. Let’s now go over to the inspirational football quotes to change the mood. Here is the top 10 inspirational and motivational football quotes:
1. “Do right. Do your best. Treat others as you want to be treated.”
2. “Without self-discipline, success is impossible, period.”
3. “I learned that if you want to make it bad enough, no matter how bad it is, you can make it.”
4. “Build up your weaknesses until they become your strong points.”
5. “Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.”
--Paul "Bear" Bryant
6. “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.”
7. “The road to Easy Street goes through the sewer.”
8. “If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.”
9. “Football is an honest game. It's true to life. It's a game about sharing. Football is a team game. So is life.”
10. “Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second.”
--Paul "Bear" Bryant
We have to realize that these quotes doesn’t only apply to the game of football, but also in the game of life!
A brilliant but often controversial commander, General Douglas MacArthur was charged with defending the Philippines from invasion. When all was lost, he uttered his famous message, "I shall return." At one point, it appeared that MacArthur would lead the Allied troop invasion of Japan, but Japan surrendered after the dropping of two atomic bombs. After rebuilding Japan after the war, MacArthur was named as Commander of all United Nations forces in Korea. But when he questioned his orders, MacArthur was recalled by President Truman. His farewell address to Congress included the immort…
Copyright © 2002-2013 Great Quotes.com